Have you ever thought about getting an electric toothbrush but haven’t taken the plunge yet? Electric toothbrushes offer several benefits for your oral health, and here at Highgrove Dental Care we fully support and recommend the use of an electric toothbrush for all of our patients! Below you will find several reasons to make the switch from a manual toothbrush to an electric toothbrush.
Electric Toothbrushes are Easy to Use
- Electric toothbrushes are easy for everyone to use! The larger handle of an electric toothbrush makes grasping the toothbrush easier for people with mobility and dexterity problems such as arthritis.
- They do the work for you! Electric toothbrushes work by having sonic, vibrating, rotating, and/or oscillating bristles that eliminate the need to manually move the toothbrush in circular motions. Simply hold the toothbrush head on the tooth surface along the gum line and slowly move it along each tooth.
Removes More Plaque
- The sonic, rotating motions of an electric toothbrush’s bristles sweep away more plaque than a manual toothbrush. According to Oral B and Sonicare, their electric toothbrushes deliver over 48,000 to 62,000 movements per minute as opposed to 300 to 600 movements per minute with a manual toothbrush.
- The vibrating bristles are able to reach areas that are more difficult to reach with a manual toothbrush which allows for more plaque removal. The high amount of bristle movements also help reduce stains from coffee, tea, etc.
- Less plaque means fewer cavities, healthier gums, and a brighter smile!
Better Brushing Habits
- Electric toothbrushes have a built-in timer making it easy to brush for the full 2 minutes.
- Most brushes have a notification (either a beep or a pause in vibration) after each 30 seconds, signaling that it’s time to move to the next quadrant.
- Pressure sensors in the toothbrush help prevent brushing too hard. When too much pressure is being applied, the toothbrush will make a noise or stop the vibration to alert you to lessen the pressure. This feature helps prevent conditions like wear and abrasion, which result from brushing too hard.
- Electric toothbrushes have multiple different modes like “clean, sensitive, and whitening.” These modes allow for personalization according to your comfort and desires. Each mode has a different level of power and/or bristle motion.
- Several electric toothbrushes come with Bluetooth features that link to an app. These apps allow you to monitor your brushing habits, see areas that you need to spend more time on, and see what you’re doing well!
If you have any questions about electric toothbrushes or need help finding the best one for you, ask any one of us here at Highgrove Dental Care!
Check out the links below to browse the different kinds of electric toothbrushes we recommend!